Creating a data source from a file
How to format files for uploading
Advanced analytics allows you to use data from files in your reports. You can add a file by URL, file from cloud storage, or upload files in CSV, XLS, and XLSX formats. Before uploading a file as a data source, make sure your data is organized according to the requirements for titles and fields.
Titles format requirements
When uploading a table into Advanced Analytics, the first row is automatically converted into titles. If the table does not contain titles, select the
- Titles must be arranged in columns only.
- Titles can’t be named
Measures. You should rename these titles or you won’t be able to save your data source.
- Each measure title should be in a separate column. When the table is loaded, the merged fields are not processed.
- Titles must not contain dates.
Fields format requirements
Adding fields of a Date type
Advanced Analytics supports the following date formats:
|YYYY (e.g., 2017)||YYYY MM (e.g., 2017/01)|
MM YYYY (e.g., 01.2017)
month YYYY (e.g.,
|YYYY DD MM (e.g., 2017/01/01)|
MM DD YYYY (e.g., 01.01.2017)
DD MM YYYY (e.g.,
MM DD YYYY hh (e.g.,
Possible separators: dot, dash, slash, or space.
Adding fields of a Number type
Before uploading files, check that they don’t contain the following:
- Cells with currency or percent symbols, as they can complicate the loading process. You reapply the currency and percentage data formats later when plotting.
- Cells with totals, as this can lead to incorrect display of values. You can make all calculations in Advanced Analytics.
Adding fields of a Territory type
Advanced analytics allows you to create maps from region and country data. The following territorial formats are supported:
- Country codes (two-letter uppercase ISO-3166-1 alpha-2 codes) or their equivalent English names. E.g., GB or United Kingdom.
- Region codes (uppercase ISO-3166-2 codes) or their equivalent English names. E.g., US-NJ or New Jersey.
To add a territorial dimension:
- Upload the file with tabular data.
- In the opened data source editor, click on the column with territorial data.
- In the field
- Select the map that matches the data in your table. If you select a map of another country, a blank map will be displayed for this source.
How to upload a file
To create a new data source based on the uploaded file:
- Go to the Data Sources tab and click the Data source.
Upload a Fileand select the upload option:
- from a computer
- from cloud storage
- from a URL
- Edit the format of the fields. To do this, click
Optionson the settings page of the uploaded file and make changes.
- Schedule a data refresh and edit the fields. To do this click on the
Settingsand make changes.
- Return to the Data Sources tab and click
Save changesin the modal window.
After you have uploaded and saved the files, you can build reports based on them. Use the context menu to manage the file and its permissions.
Was this article helpful?
Rate this page
Don’t want to answer
Thank you for your feedback!
Found a typo or other text error? Select the text and press Ctrl+Enter.