Web game distribution
How it works
Web game distribution allows you to widely distribute your browser game via game portals. Each portal (such as GameFlare or Kizi) that works with Xsolla Partner Network contains hundreds of games organized by category. Users can choose any of them and play for free right on the portal. The number of users on each portal can reach tens of thousands, and every game has access to the entire audience.
If you partner with Xsolla to work with game portals, your game will be published both in the Xsolla catalog and on each portal.
- User opens a web game distribution portal.
- User opens the Xsolla catalog on the portal.
- User chooses a game in the catalog and opens it in a trackable iframe.
- User signs up for the game via Xsolla Login.
- User makes purchases in the game via Xsolla Pay Station.
- User opens a game for the first time on the portal. Data about the portal and the user is saved in cookie files.
- User clicks a game link from any source.
- User reopens the game in the same browser. Data about the portal and the user is checked in cookie files and sent via an event to the game.
- If the game successfully handles the event, a user continues playing the game.
The version of your game that you want to distribute via game portals that work with Partner Network should meet the following requirements:
- Uses the same in-game language as the language of the portal
- Enables in-game purchases
- Has no in-game ads
- Allows saving and restoring of in-game progress
- Is built using HTML5 (other formats are not supported by some portals)
- Has cross-device capability
To start distributing your game on game portals that work with Partner Network:
- Integrate Xsolla Login to register and authenticate users.
- Integrate Xsolla Pay Station to accept payments for all in-game purchases.
- Send the URL of an iframe-embedded version of your game to your Account Manager or email email@example.com.
- To enable the restoring of in-game progress, integrate the specific script into the game. The script will be developed later — ask your Account Manager for details.
- Send the following details of this version of your game to your Account Manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org:
- game title
- game description
- game icon (format: JPG, GIF, or PNG; size: 415 x 233 px)
- game instructions, including a list of controls
- game genre (or other category)
- screenshots (format: JPG, GIF, or PNG; size: 300 x 200 px or larger)
- required plugins (e.g. none, Flash, Unity, Java, Silverlight)
- minimum and maximum frame sizes
After checking for all requirements, the game will be available for playing on the portals that work with Partner Network.
You will get revenue from all in-game purchases. There are also additional revenue-share payments and commissions:
- Revenue share for portals that work with Partner Network (usually 30-50%)
- Xsolla’s commission (5%)
We use our own in-game payment system. Can we still work with the portals with which Xsolla is integrated?
Yes, but you need to integrate Xsolla Pay Station and use it for all in-game purchases made by users who register with the game via these portals. You can use your own payment system to process in-game purchases made by users who have already registered with the game using other methods.
We use our own in-game login system. Can we still work with the portals with which Xsolla is integrated?
Yes. In this case, you need to perform one of the following integration methods:
- Integrate the registration event method and send it every time a user registers via a portal. It is necessary to let Xsolla track users that come to the game through those portals.
- Save the
tracking_idfrom the URL the user followed and token request while making purchases via Xsolla Pay Station.
Example of the URL:
Our game is not built using HTML5. Can we still work with game portals via Xsolla?
You can distribute your game in any format, but some portals don’t support formats other than HTML5. In this case, you may be unable to add your game to these portals for technical reasons.
Our game does not have a cross-device format. Can we still work with game portals via Xsolla?
You can work with game portals via Xsolla whether your game has cross-device capability or not, but some portals don’t support non-cross-device formats. In this case, you may be unable to add your game to these portals for technical reasons.
Was this article helpful?
Rate this page
Don’t want to answer
Thank you for your feedback!
Found a typo or other text error? Select the text and press Ctrl+Enter.