How to create site for free-to-play game
How it works
Free-to-play is a business model for distribution of computer and mobile games, which allows the user to play without having to pay for it. The main way to monetize free-to-play games is through in-game purchases. Many popular and commercially successful games currently use free-to-play monetization. Site Builder allows you to monetize a game through selling the following items on the game’s site:
- virtual currency packs
- virtual items
You can sell in-game items using a store on the site or create a site with the top-up solution.
Flow for site with store
- The user goes to the free-to-play game’s site and navigates to the store section.
- The user selects items to buy. The purchase payment process depends on:
- The user sees purchased items in their game account.
Purchase of different quantity of items
- Single item. To buy a single item, the user clicks Buy Now and pays for the purchase in the payment UI.
- Multiple items. To buy multiple items, the gamer clicks the cart icon and adds the item to a shopping cart. After selecting all the items, the gamer goes to the shopping cart, clicks Go to checkout and pays for the purchase in the payment UI.
Purchase of different item types
- To buy a virtual item, the user needs to log in to the site. After the user is logged in, the system can start the payment process depending on the type of currency the item is sold for.
- To buy a virtual currency pack, the user needs to log in to the site. After the user is logged in, the system can start charging virtual currency to the user balance and subtracting from it.
Flow for site with top-up feature
- The user goes to the site where the top-up solution is implemented.
- The user enters their ID from the game in a special field.
- The user chooses items and proceeds to the payment step.
- The user chooses a payment method and pays for the items.
- The user sees the purchased goods in their account in the game.
How to get it
- Sign up for Publisher Account.
- Configure a Publisher Account project. The first project is automatically created after you sign up for an account.
- Create a site with one of the following templates:
- Store. Allows you to create a store on the site with in-game items and sell them via shopping cart.
- Top-up page. Allows you to sell in-game items via the user ID from the game.
Was this article helpful?
Rate this page
Don’t want to answer
Thank you for your feedback!
Found a typo or other text error? Select the text and press Ctrl+Enter.